There’s no question that the pod vaping category has been the fastest growing segment in the vaping industry in 2019. Pod systems have the ideal combination of everything. They’re powerful and satisfying, but they’re also highly portable and very easy to use. Pod systems have been around so long, though, that it’s no longer safe to assume that someone is new to vaping simply because he or she uses a pod system. Some vapers are on their second or third pod systems, and many of those people are actively looking for upgrades. Some people want better vapour production, and thers want better battery life. Some people just want pod systems with more convenience features. Whatever your reason for upgrading may be, you’ve come to the right place because the SMOK Nord is undoubtedly the most powerful and flexible pod vaping system yet released. This is our SMOK Nord review.
What Is the SMOK Nord?
The SMOK Nord is a vaping device that straddles the line between the simplicity of pod vaping systems and the flexibility and power of advanced mods. With most pod vaping systems, the main replaceable component is the entire pod. You need to buy a completely new pod even if the atomizer coil is the only component that you actually need to replace. The SMOK Nord is different because the pod and atomizer coil are separate components that you can replace individually.
A pod system with a replaceable atomizer coil is a bit more complex than a system with a fixed atomizer coil. However, the SMOK Nord also has two key benefits that most pod systems lack.
- Most of the time, the reason why you need to replace the pod in a pod vaping system is because the atomizer coil is burned out. If you can replace the atomizer coil individually rather than buying an entirely new pod, you’ll save money. Compared to most pod systems, the SMOK Nord has a lower long-term ownership cost.
- The SMOK Nord has four different atomizer coils available at the time of writing. Each atomizer coil provides a different vaping experience, so the SMOK Nord is a device that can grow with you in ways that other pod vaping systems can’t.
SMOK Nord: What’s Included
Inside the SMOK Nord package, you’ll find the following items:
- SMOK Nord pod vaping system
- Pod with 2 ml e-liquid capacity
- 1.4-ohm coil for mouth-to-lung inhaling
- 0.6-ohm coil for direct-to-lung inhaling
- USB charging cable
- Instruction manual
SMOK Nord Specifications
- Battery capacity: 1100 mAh
- Pod capacity: 2 ml
- Atomizer coil resistance: 0.6, 0.8 or 1.4 ohm
- Activation: Manual fire button
- Dimensions: 94 x 30 x 18.8 mm
- Operational power: 10-15 watts
SMOK Nord Atomizer Coils
The replaceable atomizer coil of the SMOK Nord is its most important feature. That feature deserves a section of its own because, as we mentioned above, the atomizer coil that you install in the SMOK Nord will have a drastic effect on your vaping experience. The SMOK Nord kit comes with two coils, but there are five coils available in all at the time of writing. Those coils are:
- Regular 1.4-ohm coil (included with kit): Standard coil for mouth-to-lung inhaling. Works best with higher-nicotine and nicotine salt e-liquids.
- Mesh 0.6-ohm coil (included with kit): Mesh coil for direct-to-lung inhaling. Produces very large vapour clouds and works best with lower-nicotine e-liquids.
- Mesh 0.8-ohm coil (optional): Higher-output coil for mouth-to-lung inhaling. Buy this coil if you prefer mouth-to-lung inhaling and aren’t happy with the vapour output of the 1.4-ohm coil included with the kit.
- Regular 0.6-ohm coil (optional): Traditional wound coil for direct-to-lung inhaling. Buy this coil if you prefer direct-to-lung inhaling and aren’t happy with the vaping experience that the included 0.6-ohm coil provides.
- Ceramic 1.4-ohm coil (optional): Wound coil with a ceramic wick rather than a traditional cotton wick. Because ceramic has greater heat resistance than cotton, this coil may have superior durability compared to a coil with a cotton wick.
What It Like to Use the SMOK Nord?
As you’ve no doubt surmised from reading our SMOK Nord review so far, this a device that differs from traditional pod systems in some pretty significant ways. The first difference is that the replaceable atomizer coil of the SMOK Nord will increase the complexity of your vaping experience slightly. We’ll explain how to replace the SMOK Nord coil shortly. As you’ll soon learn, SMOK has made the Nord coil replacement procedure as simple as possible.
The second way in which the SMOK Nord differs from other pod systems is much more profound. Even if you’re using the basic 1.4-ohm mouth-to-lung coil, you’ll probably find that the Nord produces significantly more vapour than the pod system you’re currently using. The increase in vapour production may mean that you’ll want to reduce the nicotine strength of your e-liquid. The SMOK Nord may be a small device, but it’s designed to deliver the most efficient combination of size and strength that the vaping industry has yet developed.
Charging the Battery
When you open the SMOK Nord, the first thing you’ll want to do is charge the battery. Connect the included USB cable to one of your computer’s USB ports and to the charging port on the bottom of the device. As the SMOK Nord charges, the indicator light changes from red to orange and finally to green. When the light turns off, the battery is full.
When you use the SMOK Nord, you can press the activation button twice to check the current battery status.
- If the light flashes green, the remaining battery life is higher than 70 percent.
- If the light flashes orange, the remaining battery life is 30-70 percent.
- If the light flashes red, the remaining battery life is below 30 percent.
Filling the Pod
To fill the SMOK Nord pod, begin by tugging gently on the pod’s mouthpiece until it lifts out of the device. You’ll see a rubber stopper on the side of the pod. Open the stopper and fill the pod with e-liquid. To help prevent leaking, leave a bit of room in the pod for air expansion. If you’re using a new atomizer coil for the first time, wait several minutes before vaping. That’s to give the cotton wick sufficient time to absorb the e-liquid in the pod. If you attempt to vape while the wick is still dry, you could burn the cotton.
Replacing the Coil
You’ll know that it’s time to replace the SMOK Nord coil because the device will no longer give you the experience it once did, even with a full tank of e-liquid and a fully charged battery. You might detect a burned flavour when vaping, or you may find that the device’s vapour production has decreased. When the pod is empty, remove it from the SMOK Nord and invert it. You’ll see the coil on the underside of the pod. Pull the old coil straight up to remove it from the pod. To prepare a new coil for use, place a little e-liquid on each of the new coil’s exposed wick holes. This primes the coil and helps it absorb e-liquid from the tank more quickly. Push the new coil into the bottom of the pod and fill the pod as normal. Wait several minutes for the new coil’s wick to saturate fully before you begin vaping.
How to Vape With the SMOK Nord
At this point, you should have a SMOK Nord with a charged battery, a full pod and a primed coil. You’re ready to vape. Begin by pressing the fire button five times quickly to take the device out of standby. To vape, press and hold the button while inhaling. If you’re using a coil for mouth-to-lung inhaling, you’ll puff on the device as if you were smoking a cigarette. If you’re using a direct-to-lung coil, you’ll inhale the vapour directly into your lungs.
How to Improve SMOK Nord Coil Life
When you use the SMOK Nord, your primary recurring cost aside from e-liquid will be the cost of replacement coils. Therefore, getting the best possible coil life out of the SMOK Nord is the best way to keep your vaping expenses down. We’ll leave you with these four tips to maximize SMOK Nord coil life.
- Use the proper inhaling technique. Inhale with slow, gentle puffs to prevent flooding the coil with e-liquid.
- Wait several seconds after each puff to give the coil time to replenish itself with more e-liquid. If you vape too quickly, you’ll risk burning the wick.
- Keep the pod full. The translucent window of the SMOK Nord makes it easy to see when you’re getting low on e-liquid. Refill the pod before it is empty to prevent the wick from going dry and burning.
- Use unsweetened e-liquid as often as possible. An e-liquid with an added sweetener such as sucralose tastes almost as sweet as candy, but sucralose doesn’t vaporize cleanly like the other ingredients in e-liquid. It leaves a residue on the coil that thickens and eventually burns, harming flavour and reducing the life of the coil.